Ancient and Modern - some Lichfield Landmarks
 
The Borrowcop Gazebo

Standing on the City's highest point the Borrowcop Gazebo is one of Lichfield's little known gems. The current building was erected in 1805 following a public subscription. It was restored by the Manpower Services Commission in 1981 and is now maintained by Lichfield City Council.

Photo - Lesley Bushell, 2020
The Borrowcop Gazebo
 
The Martyrs Plaque
The Martyrs Plaque

The Martyr's Plaque dates from 1676 when it was mounted on the fašade of the original Guildhall. The sculpture depicts the three dismembered British Kings who feature on the City Seal. When the Guildhall was rebuilt in the 19th century the surviving parts of the plaque were re-assembled in the museum gardens. It was restored in 2010 as part of the Lichfield Heritage Parks project.

Photo - Lesley Bushell, 2020
 
The Friary Clock Tower

The Grade II listed Clock Tower which now stands at the south end of The Friary was presented to the City in 1863 by the Trustees of the Conduit Lands Trust. The tower was built to a design by Joseph Potter Jnr and originally stood in St John Street on the site of the 1301 Crucifix Conduit. It was moved to its present location in 1928 when the new road through the Friary was created.

Photo - Lesley Bushell, 2022
The Friary Clock
 
Sandfield Pumping Station
Sandfield Pumping Station

The Sandfields Pumping Station on Chesterfield Road was built in 1873 to help supply clean water to Walsall from the springs around Lichfield. Pumping ceased in 1997 and the Grade II* listed building, which still contains a superb Cornish Beam Engine, is now looked after by a charitable trust.

Photo - Lesley Bushell, 2020
 
Modern Art in Lichfield
 
The Formation of Poetry

This unusual artwork outside Tesco's store was created in 2009 to celebrate the tercentenary of Dr Samuel Johnson's birth. Sculpted by Peter Walker, with funding from Tescos, the artwork was designed with the help of students from the Friary School.

Photo - Lesley Bushell, 2022
The Formation of Poetry
 
Erasmus Darwin Statue
The Erasmus Darwin Statue

Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802) the grandfather of Charles Darwin, lived in Lichfield for most of his life. A founder member of the Lunar Society, he was well known as a physician, a scientist, a philoshopher and a poet.

This four figured statue of Erasmus Darwin was designed by John Sanders MBE, former principal of the Lichfield School of Art, and erected by the Darwin Walk Trust in 2012.

Photo - Lesley Bushell, 2021