|Some Notable Citizens of Lichfield|
Walter de Langton, the son of Simon Peverill, was born in Langton West,
Leicestershire. He was appointed a clerk in the royal chancery and,
from 1295, Treasurer of England under King Edward I. The following year
he was elected Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield (as the see was then
known). He is buried in Lichfield Cathedral.
Elias Ashmole, the founder of the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, was born at 5 Breadmarket Street in Lichfield. He attended Lichfield Grammar School in St. John's Street the site of which is now occupied the Lichfield District Council Chamber. His birthplace, also known as Priest's Hall and now a solicitor's office, is marked by a stone plaque.
Gregory King was born in the parish of St Chad, Lichfield and attended Lichfield Grammar School where he learnt Latin, Greek and Hebrew. He was appointed Registrar of the College of Arms in 1684 and Lancaster Herald in 1688; becoming a genealogist, an engraver and, notably, a statistician for the government, attaining a number of positions as commissioner. Sometimes described as the first great economic statistician, he derived an estimate of the population and wealth of England at the close of the 17th century.
Sir John Floyer was born at Hints Hall near Lichfield and practised medicine locally, developing new ways of caring for patients. He was the first to develop a system for pulse rate measurement using a specially designed watch.
George Smalridge was born in Lichfield and attended Lichfield Grammar School. He later studied at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford. In 1711 he was appointed Dean of Carlisle and subsequently Dean of Christ Church and Bishop of Bristol. A well known figure in London in Queen Anne's day, his sermons were highly regarded and many were published during his lifetime.
Joseph Addison was born in Wiltshire but moved to Lichfield soon afterwards as his father had been appointed Dean of Lichfield Cathedral. As a young man he attended Lichfield Grammar School, later achieving fame as an essayist, poet, playright and politician. He is buried in Westminster Abbey.
Thomas Newton was born in Lichfield and attended Lichfield Grammar School. He later studied at Trinity College, Cambridge and was ordained in 1730. A scholar whose published works include a biography of John Milton (pub. 1749) he was appointed Bishop of Bristol in 1761 and Dean of St Paul's Cathedral in 1768. His birthplace in Bird Street is marked by a stone plaque.
Samuel Johnson, writer, critic, lexicographer, conversationalist, and famous for his Dictionary of English, was born in Lichfield in 1709. His birthplace in Breadmarket Street is now a museum reflecting his life and work. In 1737, accompanied by the young David Garrick, he moved to London to pursue his literary career. He is buried in Westminter Abbey.
Richard Greene was born in Lichfield and lived all his life in the City, becoming Sheriff and later an alderman. An antiquary and surgeon, he established the first printing press in Lichfield. He also founded a museum to house his collection of fossils, coins, watches, armour and natural history but, after his death in 1793, the collection was disbursed by his son.
David Garrick, actor, dramatist and theatre manager, was born in Hereford but spent most of his early life in Lichfield. He attended Lichfield Grammar School, the site of which is in St John's Street, and later studied Latin and Greek at a school run by Samuel Johnson. His Lichfield home in Bird Street was demolished in the 19th century and a stone plaque now marks the site. The modern theatre in Castle Dyke also bears his name. He is buried in Westminter Abbey.
Erasmus Darwin, physician, scientist, inventor and poet was born in Newark upon Trent but settled in Lichfield in 1756, where he lived until 1780. He was the grand-father of Charles Darwin. There is a stone plaque at the front of his house in Beacon Street, on the edge of the Cathedral Close, which is now a working museum and research centre dedicated to his life and work.
Anna Seward was born at Eyam in Derbyshire in 1742 where her father was the minister. The family moved to Lichfield seven years later when her father was appointed Canon Residentiary at Lichfield Cathedral. She is known as an eighteenth century English romantic poet, often called "the Swan of Lichfield". Despite having many admirers, she never married and lived in the Bishop's Palace for the rest of her life. She is buried in Lichfield Cathedral.
Henry Salt was born in the parish of St Mary, Lichfield and educated
first at Lichfield's Free school, where he was taught by the drawing
master John Glover, and later at a boarding school in Market Bosworth.
After training as a portrait painter in London he joined an expedition,
led by Viscount Valentine, to survey the Red Sea coast of Africa.
This work led to a further expedition to Abyssinia and his subsequent
appointment in 1815 as Consul General in Egypt. His lifelong passion
was the study of Egyptian antiquities and his large collections now
grace both the British Museum and the Louvre in Paris.
Members of the Petit family lived in Redcourt House, Tamworth Street,
for over 70 years from 1820 to 1898. The Rev. John Louis Petit was a
notable architectural historian and watercolorist who campaigned against
the imposition of neo-Gothic features on existing buildings throughout
his life. He travelled widely in England, Europe and the Middle East,
carefully recording the churches and other buildings that he saw.
James Thomas Law was educated at Christ's College, Cambridge. He was
made Prebendary of Lichfield Cathedral in 1818 and in 1821 appointed
Chancellor of the Diocease of Lichfield, a post he retained for the
rest of his life. Further appointments, as Master of St John's
Hospital and of Lichfield Theological College followed. He also sat
as a judge on the Dioscesan Consistory Court and in the local Probate
Richard Green was born in Lichfield and followed his grandfather, (see
above), in becoming a prominent citizen. By his marriage to Mary Scott
he inherited a share in the popular local bank that had been part-owned
by her father, Robert Scott.